Thursday, June 20, 2013

Getting Settled

We have a motorcycle! After spending a great deal of time researching, Sam found and bought a great pre-owned bike with only 8,000 km on it. This is the type of bike used most often to tour the entire country as it does extremely well in all conditions, which makes me feel much safer. This will be our main mode of transportation for day to day driving in Kathmandu and also many of the solo trips Sam takes out to the villages. After being here and riding on these roads, I have learned a VERY important phrase, “Malai hidnu manparchha” Translation: I like to walk! Actually Sam is doing a great job driving on the “roads” but I have to give him a hard time.

We have spent a great deal of time looking at housing options and this has come with some real challenges. In the U.S. we simply go to the apartment office and ask to see a 2 bedroom apartment. In Nepal, you tell your friends what you are looking for, they tell their friends, who tell their friends and often you are shown a house that is totally different than what your requirements looked like to begin with- or at least this has been the case for us.

We have been shown houses ranging from 3 to 6 bedrooms and often double our price range. For a short time we thought we found a house that would work for us. It was near friends and the right price, even though it was bigger than what we wanted; however, the place the current tenants were going to move to fell though and so our options were to wait until they found another place or let them continue to live on one of the floors.  Needless to say, we kept looking.

On our flight from Singapore to Kathmandu, sitting next to us was a wonderful Nepali man who we had great conversation with. We talked about Nepal and about faith, as well as the part of town he was living in and that he was moving from a great flat (apartment) in about 2 weeks. At first we were not interested because it was further north in Kathmandu than we wanted to live, but we kept in contact with him just in case. Well, after looking at over 15 houses and not finding what we wanted, we decided to go and look at his place.

The 2 bedroom flat had most of the things on our list of necessities. It was within our budget, had “Western toilets”, lots of windows (important when there is no electricity) and it is a safe place for me when Sam is out traveling around Nepal. Also it is at a higher elevation, so it has lower air pollution than most of the valley, which was a big health concern for us.

Despite all of the perks of the flat, moving here was really hard on me. I knew it was the right place for us as soon as I saw it, but needed to mourn being further from our friends than I had planned. It’s only about a 15 minute drive from our friends, which doesn't sound far, but in Nepal a 15 minute drive could be an adventure or at times impossible. Luckily Sam was patient with me and allowed me my day of mourning… and since we moved the next day, I didn't have time to stay in a state of mourning for more than a day!
Sam will tell more about our moving adventure in another blog, but I get to tell you about our beautiful new home! In many regards it is my dream home- only 5 rooms total: 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and a combined open living/ kitchen area.

As we began shopping for furniture, we realized it is more expensive here than it is in the U.S., which we had not anticipated or budgeted for. Thank you, God, for saving us from needing to furnish that 5 bedroom house we looked at!

God has taken great care of us in getting settled, too. The previous tenant (our friend from the plane), offered to sell us a few of his things: 2 very nice wardrobes (they don’t have closets here, so we needed those to store all of our clothes and toiletries), a wooden coffee table that is doubling as our dining table, a shelving unit in the kitchen (there was minimal cabinet space, so this has been very useful) and a few small shelving units that we are using in the living room right now. Not only did he offer us a fair price for the items, but we didn't have to move them! 



Looking from our kitchen into our living room
The flat didn't come with a stove, oven or refrigerator, so we bought a 4-burner gas stove top (no oven) and a red refrigerator with flowers imprinted on it- yes this was the best choice! And for our bedroom, we got a reasonably priced (and pretty comfortable) king size mattress, because as Sam and I like to joke, we do not have queen size love! Since then we have bought dishes, bowls, cookware and a few other small household items, but we are still waiting to get a couch, desk and office items.


Battery backup is a wonderful thing when there in no electric!
From our apartment we have wonderful views of mountains, as well as Swoyambhu, one of the most sacred Buddha Stupas in Nepal. Swoyambhu is also known as “The Monkey Temple” because of all of the monkeys that inhabit the area. The monkeys can be quite entertaining to watch, but also quite troublesome as they are known to break windows and grab stuff from people walking by, as well as laundry hanging on the clothes lines!

So far I have been hanging our clothes inside to dry, as I keep envisioning some monkey running off with our underwear on his head, but I don’t have a good spot to hang things like sheets, so I guess we’ll have to take our chances that the monkeys don’t need bedding!

Speaking of laundry- that is a whole other story in itself. In the U.S. you put your laundry in the washing machine, push a button, wait 45-60 minutes, move the laundry into the dryer, wait another 45-60 minutes and then hang up and/or fold the dried items. Not the most fun task, but oh what I wouldn't give for that option now!

Laundry here is an event. I take a big plastic wash tub and a bar of laundry soap (yes you read that right, it’s a bar of soap) into our master bathroom and using the spout beneath the shower. There is no tub just a spout and the floor, which used to seem silly to me, but now makes perfect sense. I fill the tub half way with water, letting it run over the bar of soap to create some suds. Then I add a few items to wash tub. If there is a stain, I rub the bar of soap on the stain and then scrub with my hands. Next I use my hands and/or feet to wash the clothes- I AM the washing machine!

Once I think the clothes are probably clean (I am new at this, so it’s just an uneducated guess!) I rinse the items one by one in the rinse bucket (a bucket that I put under the same spout I used to fill the wash tub, but fill with clean water to rinse the clothes. As the water in the bucket gets soapy, I pour that out, refill the bucket and continue.

As each item as rinsed, I place it on a hanger and hang it in our other bathroom where I have a small fan directed at the items- our dryer! Drying typically takes many hours, possibly overnight, depending on the item, but my alternative is to put everything up on the clothesline up on the roof and hope the monkeys don’t decide they need something… or that it doesn't rain, as monsoon season seems to be starting early this year!
I did a small load of laundry yesterday and there are parts of my body aching today that I didn't know existed, so at least I’m not only doing laundry, but also getting a workout! Think of me next time you’re doing a load of laundry… or on the treadmill! 

3 comments:

  1. So exciting and interesting! I can't wait to hear more!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved reading the blog. I hate laundry now,couldn't imagine having to do it that way. I will think of you next time I "push a button" and complain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice hog!!! awesome, so when I visit we will have to ride the country side. Praying for you guys.

    ReplyDelete