Sunday, July 14, 2013

See for Yourself

There's a lot to adjust to when you move to another country.

We're learning a lot of new things...




There are lots of new and exciting foods, as well as some old favorites, although some of the menu headings are a bit scary...



I ordered a veg burger at this same restaurant, and it came with a maraschino cherry attached to the top bun with a toothpick. We also watched someone order a cigarette that the waiter brought to the man on a small plate along with a match. I guess the man had not read #1 on the list above of 7 Dangerous Acts After a Meal.




And then there are the free-roaming animals. We expected to see cows wandering around since they are sacred to Hindus...



but chickens window shopping for exercise equipment was a bit of a surprise...
 

I wonder if they were trying to bulk up or lose weight?!



Of course, we're providing plenty of laughs for the locals, too. I spent an afternoon walking around our neighborhood the day after we moved in. There are lots of little shops just around the corner, and as I found things we needed, I would hold up the item and ask the shop owner in Nepali, "How much is this?" Each time they looked at me strangely and didn't seem to know how to answer the question. It wasn't until a day later when I was reviewing my Nepali language book that I realized I had actually been asking them "What time is it?"  

1 comment: