Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Our First Nepali Father's Day

September 5 was Father's Day in Nepal, so Sam and I decided to take the family (Ambika, Prem, Anipa, Kamala, Richa, Nabina, Shanti, Sonu, Upasna and Manuka- who just joined the family a few days ago) out to a restaurant as a Father's Day gift. We thought it would be a nice treat for Prem to have someone cook for him since he owns a restaurant and spends 6 long days a week there cooking for other people. Plus, going to a restaurant is something the kids rarely do, so we figured they would have a great time, too.

The girls give Prem his Father's Day gift.
I (Wendy) was running a fever of almost 102 just an hour before we left. It had come on suddenly just a few hours earlier, so I decided I wasn't going to go, but when I mentioned this to Sam and Ambika they started talking about waiting until another day when I could go. This was Father's Day, not Wendy's Day. It was supposed to be about Prem and Sam, not me. Besides, cooking here takes much more work and prepartion, so to change plans and decide to cook this late in the day would have meant a big inconvenience for them, which was NOT the Father's Day gift I wanted to give. So I took some medicine and a shower, got myself together and went with them to the restaurant.



The girls' give Sam one of his 2 Father's Day cards.
I was fairly pale and pouring sweat, but I am SO glad I went. The kids were laughing and taking pictures, the food was delicious, and not only did the girls give Prem a beautiful flower arrangement and two Father's Day cards, but they also surprised Sam with two Father's Day cards (a store-bought one and a homemade one). 


A wonderful surprise - an anniversary card and flower arrangement.






And if that weren't enough (it would have been), they also surprised both of us with a lovely flower arrangement and card for our anniversary which was the following day. I am sure I was quite a vision... pale, pouring sweat and crying tears of joy throughout the evening as I kept looking around and thinking, "I am living in Nepal. This is my life. I am part of this family." 




No comments:

Post a Comment